New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Content feedback
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 am 
Grand Overlord of Despair

Many thanks for all those that attended Time to Strike.

I'd appreciate any comments you (both players and monsters) have regarding the plot / encounters which we ran out over the weekend. The more feedback we have, the more we can tune future events to the people attending them.

Thanks

Jules

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Content feedback
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 pm 

Content, planning, props, organisation, monstering, marshalling and reffing, all excellent.

I do have one tiny observation. A couple of times the first encounter after a meal was rolled out while some players were still eating, and understandably they didn't want to leave their food to go cold while they beat down on stuff. With the amount of action you gave us, it's understandable that you were on a tight schedule, but maybe a little bit longer delay would be useful?

106 sleeps.... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:31 pm 

I must admit the problem with the food was a lack of space for everyone to sit down together and eat. Therefore meal times were longer than expected. Good point though.

The good news is the next event site has the required space. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Overall I was very impressed with the event. Content, pacing, progress - all seemed very good and balanced to me. I'll pick up on some specific bits though.

The props
  • As said above, the props were really good and really added to the atmosphere, especially the glowing runes around the transport circle. This added a sort of eerie, icy feeling.
  • The gravestones. I've seen many events that had a plot with graves and gravestones, but actually having the phys. rep gravestones there to see from a distance had a much higher visual impact than I thought it would. Worked really well.
  • Smoke machine. Wolf events have used them in the past to add a spooky feeling to unliving fights and personally I love them when used well. On the shadow-realm quest, it was used really well. :)
  • Blue LEDs for the wraiths. Very visually impressive, but too bright. A number of times, when fighting them, I was unable to see the person playing the monster at all and felt that it was therefore too unsafe to swing my weapon at them, as I couldn't see what I was hitting.
  • Costume & make-up was very good again. I didn't see any, "omg look at that awesome monster costume!" but everything I encountered over the weekend was easily identifiable by looking at it. I'm impressed with the speed that some of the encounters were costumed & made-up and out the door. Kudos to the monsters and monster room.

The plot / encounters
  • I felt it all made coherent sense and the clues led logically to what we, as players, needed to do. This may not sound like a big thing, but personally I feel it's really important that the players can put the pieces together and decide on a course of action without having to ask the NPCs what to do next.
  • Stats & difficulty? Some of those fights were really brutal. personally I love that. :) Not because there were monsters with insane stats stomping around, but due to waves and waves of monsters landing a few hits each and gradually pounding the player characters into the ground. Mostly the event team got this spot on, but I think it got pushed a bit too hard in the final fight, especially when I could see that a number of the players were just fighting a defensive action, as it becomes obvious on a subconscious level that defeating the monster infront of you is just going to send it to respawn, with a full compliment of spells/abilities.
  • The final fight as an, "objective-based scenario." The Wolves as a faction have tended to be bad at these, such as taking out the bad guy who has infinite re-enforcements whilst alive, which is a shame as they can be the more memorable encounters. This one worked really well though, with having to take and hold 3 points that are close together. I liked it and felt it worked really well. I think a certain amount of that is down to the monster crew who played it well with keeping up pressure without pushing it too far.
  • The Order of Fenris arriving at the event. This is the one bit of the event that I felt was badly handled by the event team. I wasn't there to watch the fight first-hand, however the players were OOC late to the event and consequently it looks like they were punished for this with two character deaths as part of arriving IC. Had they been able to OOC arrive earlier and therefore be IC at the same time as everyone else, there is no way that those character deaths would have happened. I am aware that there was an ongoing unliving encounter going out, but I think that the event team should have better handled the timing of the players transporting in, maybe wait until the unliving were engaged down at the player camp. There were other players who were OOC late and did not have to face such a situation.

Site / Facilities
  • I continue to like this site for a number of reasons: plenty of indoor accomodation; good terrain features, blocking visibility and allowing some distinct encounter locations. The main room that we used for the player IC area was a bit small for the number of players, but it didn't really matter as people were mostly happy to be outside of the building, even in the rain.
  • The catering was very good again. Please don't switch and use anyone else. :)
  • The event pack could have been emailed out a few days before the event. :P

Overall I really enjoyed myself and this was one of the best sanctioned events I've ever had the pleasure to attend. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm 

Logistics

-Event packs, enough said.
-Get the monsters to sleep over the monster room, the players to sleep over the IC area and caterers to sleep away from the IC area. Reason being both Monster and Caterers work exceptionally hard for the players at an event and have more than earnt their sleep, people congregate in the IC area after time out to have a drink and wind down. Sometimes they wind down till daylight and if we want to ask our cooks to do breakfast and our monsters to kick off straight after they need their sleep!

Plot
-Pace, just about right although Aidie is right about dinnertime speaking as one who often gets to eat later than earlier as a general rule.
-Traps ... MORE! MORE! MORE! *cough* please.
-Balance, we have a great balance between thinky, hitty and stealth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
•The Order of Fenris arriving at the event. This is the one bit of the event that I felt was badly handled by the event team. I wasn't there to watch the fight first-hand, however the players were OOC late to the event and consequently it looks like they were punished for this with two character deaths as part of arriving IC. Had they been able to OOC arrive earlier and therefore be IC at the same time as everyone else, there is no way that those character deaths would have happened. I am aware that there was an ongoing unliving encounter going out, but I think that the event team should have better handled the timing of the players transporting in, maybe wait until the unliving were engaged down at the player camp. There were other players who were OOC late and did not have to face such a situation.

Can I just say in a slight defence of the "Event organisers" the first I was aware of this is when Leon and the other OOF were stood in front of me to register their deaths, I agree it could have been a handled better but neither seemed too upset by the deaths.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 pm 
Grand Overlord of Despair

The OoF party were asked if they wanted to go in hot or wait.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm 

Arrival - No event pack - but DM did post details on the forum. Otherwise, signing in and weapons check all ok.

Monstering Us monsters were well fed and supplied with sugary things. Drinks, hot and cold at hand. Many thanks. It was greatly appreciated.
The briefings were good and clear. Stat sheets available to read/double check. A reminder list of spells and incants etc, might be handy maybe to remind people new to v3 (or not played in years etc).
The make up was good. We all chipped in and the monsters help sort out stuff.
Fights were good. A few long sword machinegun drum rolls on the first night. But improved vastly on sat and sunday. Even managed a few heroic speed 1v1s or 1v2s in places.
Playing the fire elemental and the big end deamon, I expected and duly recieved the pounding, but none were too heavy and players were very obliging at times with mask re-alignments. Infact all weekend players were very considerate with apologies for heavy hits (usually pole arms) or if ground was unsafe or objects nearby.
Wave attacks felt well balances, though I felt the roughly 24-26 monsters v 60-70 players ratio a bit low in the monster side. Made for a very physically intensive monstering. BUT That said, refs were excellent at not pressuring, at directing and generally coordinating in the main. The odd ref1 say "this", ref2 say "that" moment, but they always occur and were always sorted quickly. The appreciations for the monsters efforts were repeatedly stated and emphasised and that was nice.
Had some great roleplaying moments with players (though i only did a couple of talkies).
So I have to say as a monster, the event went a LOT better than some I have been too in the past.

Props and Lighting The circle props were great I personaly thought. Shame they got a bit trampled by the end. The efforts of travis and others were clear in all of them. And i felt as a monster they made for great scene setting.
With regards to masks, I recall the faction having a stack of undead masks somewhere, and thought they looked better than facepaint, though the facepaint did work in the dark nicely., but keep in mind it is a few years since I was at events.
The blue LEDs for the frost wraiths are far too bright. I watched large fight in the dark with the large UV lamp, and even from the bench by the hut the blue lights were too bright. Some scotch type tape or similar might diffuse them a little to make them less harsh. I did hear several players draw back stating they were too bright and could not safely fight me, when I wearing them. The reds ones were fine.
I as a monster and player love props etc, and think they really make for better suspension of dissbelief.

Lighting - the Large Halogens worked well focussed to up light trees. But I felt another bank or set was needed. If theatricle gels can be obtained they can be coloured to avoid the white light impact.

Catering The food was excellent. Many thanks to those who slaved away at it.

Take Down I have to admit I was bone tired by the end and by the time I had my tent and sleeping kits etc packed away, the monster room had been sorted. I moved a few chairs about down the player hall. But had to bail early. I did see several players helping with the litter pick and I picked up the odd poly cup and beer can from aroudn the player area. Some more "pop" up bins in the player areas, may help keep the numbers down.

Summary All in all. Given i have been away for a few years. It was a tremendously fun event, and no serious gripes. So hats off to the event organisers, and players, and my fellow monsters, many of which put me to shame with their boundless energy levels. God I hate getting old..

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

JTM wrote:
The OoF party were asked if they wanted to go in hot or wait.

It didn't personally affect me and I'm not on a crusade on their behalf or anything. I just thought it was a bit harsh is all and suggesting that for similar occasions in the future, it might be wiser to stage the timing regardless of whether the players involved think they'll be ok. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 am 

My only "irk" for this event was the "trip to shadowland". The idea was great, and definitely something unique and challenging for both the fighties and the non-fighties, however, the execution wasn't too smooth. Mainly it was nigh impossible to hear the "feedback calls" when requested effects were "delivered", IC the voice of Hare might have been lost, but OC we'd still need to know which effect to apply. It may be that all was right and reflected "the reality" of what was really being done back in the hut, but it seemed way to little effects made it through to their intended target. In turn it made for a fairly frustrating encounter, whilst really it would have been the best encounter ever if it had worked.

I also thought the OoF arrival deaths were a bit harsh, but in the other hand you have to respect the spirit of the players that own up to their IC actions, even if after only 1 minute IC. If I remember correctly, the call went IC to the faction for a mage to trace the transport rite... so IC we could have saved them too...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:02 am 

This event typified why I enjoy visiting the Wolf Faction so much at mainline events. Like me you love to have enormous numbers of hard core fights that are very challenging, but so very well stated. There were some very minor issues that others have mentioned but overall may I say a big thank you to the event organisers, the monster crew and the players for making this one of the best faction events I have done.

Thanks

Ian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 am 

So when are you joining the Wolves? :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:45 pm 

A quick note about the early deaths of my two men, although sad, have no regrets, it was a very good fight in rough conditions, it happens.
Plenty of roleplay to follow with their new characters. :)

more later

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 pm 

To echo Thorkill's words, it was a shame (being one of those latecomers) to have been informed of the deaths of two brothers. But, we all accept that risk when we join the Order so I think I can safely say on their behalf that they died doing what they loved (well maybe Ingvar would have died happier if he was sticking needles into someone or skinning them at that time). There was a point where I actually thought the entire ships company was going to be wiped out. That would have been amusing.

I can't really add anything to what else has already been said as it all emphasised my own thoughts, it was an amazing event.
I would say that while I also echo the sadness that the transport circle props got broken I would add that even broken they looked awesome it added an ancient relicy feel to them.

Congrats to everyone involved in making this an awesome event.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:02 am 

As a member of the monster crew I had a fab time at the event and was suitably broken by the time the final battle was over.

I felt the encounters were pretty well balanced somewhere towards the 'brutal but fun' end of the scale, mostly.

Going in in wave after wave of Kald Alfar/Unliving/Beastkin (delete as applicable) was a good reminder of why I now go to the gym...... :-)

There was a good atmosphere in the monster room.

I thought the event team did an excellent job of keeping us organised and motivated

Just a couple of minor niggles. Fighting around the UV lamp wasn't so good, particularly when having to fight players stood directly in front of it... Pretty sure it wouldn't have been in issue if it could have been raised and angled down over the combat area - Just a thought...

Took a number of brain rattling headshots from polearms in the night fights - I know, accidents happen. Not really a complaint, more a reminder for players and monsters to be careful when mixing beer, big hitty sticks and darkness.

Overall, damn fine event from the monster side.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:23 pm 

Thank you for organising a fantastic event. Its put faction events back on the map for me.
many challenging encounters loads of action, no ritual of peace.

i know you had a few problems with the admin, and set up, but you worked your nuts off tirelessly on our behalf.Some things were done off the cuff by marshalls, umpires, for what they thought were the right reasons.

The weekend was packed with blood and guts, in a balanced and positive way.Loved the plot lines, they were believable and relevant, especially for my group.

Thanks again for the special effects, the lighting, the smoke, the props, they make a good event into a top notch experience and well worth the work you put in.

This is what I hoped LARPing was all about when I started. An action adventure.

Please do it again chaps. Top draw.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 pm 

I've been doing this hobby for 15 years now and this is my 2nd favourite ever event. (roughly 6 events per year = 90 or so events!!).

I thought it very well-balanced and thouroughly inclusive in that ALL characters had input, action and fun; whilst all the monsters I spoke to had a great time also.

I'll definately be at the next one, although staying clear of Lyra!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My heartfelt thanks to all staff, monsters and players alike - after 15 years or so, keen is a commodity that is rare but now I have it back in abundance.!!

Cheers y'all,
Danny

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 am 

kiffster wrote:
I'll definately be at the next one, although staying clear of Lyra!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That was fun to watch!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm 

Quote:
and this is my 2nd favourite ever event

Sigh. Ok. We'll try harder next time..... :wink:

Julian - I think it's time to roll out that "Danny focused plot". :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

What he's not telling you is, his favourite LRP event involved a bondage dungeon.... :shock:

Profile E-mail