Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cars and Monday of the Gathering
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:35 am 
The Maud

Important Notice

There will be NO cars allowed on the camping field between the hours of 10am and 5pm (ie from 'time in' and until after 'time out') on the Monday of the Gathering.

The reason is because it has been felt that having cars on site detracts from the role play of those people wishing to continue playing until the end of the event.

So if you need leave before time out then I'm afraid you'll either have to pack your car before 10am or you're going to have to carry your kit to the car park.

If anyone has any special arrangements that means they need their car on site between these time you will have to clear it with Belle in Security when you arrive at the event.

Jan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:31 pm 

Post battle roleplay setting?

Roll eyes and grin in full cynical mode.

So if the LT feel that it detracts from roleplaying, are they going to be laying on post-battle plot and entertainment (and monsters for Factions) for people to have an IC reason to stay?

Hmmm. I would be surprised.

Why cant the LT let its majority of customers have what it wants or come up with a reasonable compromise, like, you can load over the back walls etc.

Ahh. Because that would be S E N S I B L E...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Njal wrote:
Post battle roleplay setting?

Roll eyes and grin in full cynical mode.

Some very important parts of Wolf history have happened post-battle.

Njal wrote:
are they going to be laying on post-battle plot and entertainment (and monsters for Factions) for people to have an IC reason to stay?

Would you be willing to monster for such?
Is being attacked by stats the only reason to be IC and roleplay?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:17 pm 

While I can sympathise with Njal's POV, there is, I guess, the health and safety aspect of having IC time running while vehicles are maneuvering around the campsite - possibly blocking the ambulance runs at the same time.

Kinda detracts a bit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:11 am 

From an H&S aspect, a minute past five will be a blast with the world, his wife, his mistress and his two dogs piling out of the carpark and across the camping fields!

OH HAPPY DAY!!! :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:27 am 

Out of sheer curiosity, did something happen to spark this change? Have LT had complaints from people who wanted to roleplay after the final battle? Although I understand that it's still time in (time-ish at least), I've seen very very few people who do actually stay IC for long during that time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 am 
Site Admin

If they are that keen, they will already be in the car park?
And there is a bottle neck at the entrance.
I presume the same staff holding back the cars will regulate them?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 am 

on the plus side, post battle those not wanting to continueing roleplaying can finish off there beer have a nice chat and have everything rdy for a 5pm rush, at least will will then all be nice and relaxed when we get stuck in a taffic jam trying to get out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:28 am 

There have been complaints about the increasing no. of cars in the field during time in.

Issue 1: they are a hazard which restricts combat/access over faction walls. I cannot stress this enough.
Issue 2: Spoiling the IC atmosphere - modern music out of speakers, looking at lots of cars, getting out of the way of cars etc.

At Moot 2 I personally had to explain to someone why parking his car in front of the trannies gate was rather thoughtless during time in.

The LT provides a game to play, and players are paying to play, not to go on a camping holiday. So, if cars on the field are interfering with that game then we will do our best to restrict the no. of cars, and see what the feedback is like. The LT listens far more to players feedback than might be assumed.

If on Monday you feel it was more hassle than a benefit - put it on your feedback form. These feedback forms are hugely important - if you don't fill one out, you miss influencing changes/keeping a system you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:51 pm 

Yes DM I agree with you, there have been some very good moments of post battle roleplay for the Wolves.

I dont remember them being spoiled by people taking down tents and loading cars as it had their attention.

The fact remains that not a lot does happen in the two plus hours of time ish we are talking about.

People who want to roleplay can, and I often do so see if there are bits of politics to finish off, but the practicality is that the event is shutting down.

The world is full of numpties, and whoever parked in front of the Trannies was a ****. Don't let such idiocy lead us to an all authoritarian, "ITS ROLEPLAYING ENVIRONMENT SO YOU CANT". For crying out loud give people some ease with some basic common sense about where they can go. Put a limit on cars, where to go, tell them to turn their **** radio off. If you stop people who want to go they will then have an equally great queue of people OOC walking to the carpark looking hacked off and worn out with piles of tents and kit.

Oh, but its not a car parked around the back of a camp so its bound to improve peoples roleplaying isnt it?

No I wont monster it for the LT. Thats for them to sort out for me as a paying player if they are going to put bullshit ultimatums in place.

Oh, and are they going to stop the traders taking their stalls down before time out as it spoils the shopping opportunities IC and OOC for their players?

Kate, any answers?

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

There is a quiet camp.
Perhaps there could be a "want to pack my car and leave between 10-5" camp?

Friday is a bit of an odd day, as to letting cars on "after time-in" at 2? 12? when many people haven't even set off.

What about cars on the field on Sat/Sun - any at all?
Perhaps between dawn & time in ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:18 pm 

Oh and just another point (or several).

Okay, if the LT do listen to players comments - (I do believe that they do), how about listening to all these comments and outcry that is coming from the players now.

Considering also that I have not seen ANY LT staff regulating traffic at ANY event this year (they are not even there to watch you come in at ANY entrance), where are all these staff going to be when they are needed to organise the logistics of this? Big lack of gate staff this year?

Or is it just going to be a poor beleagured Belle working her arse off with very little regard from pissed off people.

Many people who want to go after the battle has finished wont be relaxing having a beer as most will want to drive surely anyway.

If the LT is so concerned with an IC environment, why doesnt it get rid of modern day food stands, decent monster kit, porta loos, people smoking cigarettes, kids in jeans and T-shirts with swords, and **** big modern party tents to represent Fantasy world Guilds? And maybe make its own staff not play modern music when they are testing out the Ritual Circle PA...

And any post battle plot doesnt need to be hitty. But monster lead plot does stop with the battle...

J

Post subject: Practicallity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 pm 

Well, i am all for safety and yes the look of cars on the field is not good. BUT, for some of us that have a four hour or more drive to get home and have a lot of kit such as group tents ( tarp in mycase).. etc to pack
not being able to start to load this kit into the car (and trailer in mycase) means that i wont get home till far too late, thus i will be forced to leave on monday morning early.

Why cant they mark out some loading areas at the rear of each camp where cars can be brought close enough to get the kit into??? whilst being out of the way in the whole.

Its just likly to mean that we will go back to using plastic camping tents and more groups wont bother with IC tentage etc, especially quite big IC tents/marquee's as it means the owners/transporters wont get off site till very late.

And i can defenitely see there being a potential for more accidents/problems when everyone rushes to move their cars at the strike of 5, especially considering there are usually NO LT security staff up at the car parks at the end of the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Good points.
More for the feedback form, I suppose.
Don't forget to add "more warning of such policies" ?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ferry's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:30 pm 

Umm, also a second note, what about those who need to catch ferries.. they usually have to leave just after 3 to make the ferry at hollyhead if my memory serves me correctly.

They have even further than me to go..

Also are they going to Stop the Traders, packing up and driving about with their vans etc between 10 and 5pm.. i cannot see that happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Don't forget the original posting, which said....
Quote:
If anyone has any special arrangements that means they need their car on site between these time you will have to clear it with Belle in Security when you arrive at the event.

... so if people have big stuff to move, tell Security as soon as you can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:36 pm 

Hmm, so no cars on site between 10am and 5 pm.?

I know, I'll bring a horse and cart. Hey, it'll be IC transport, OKAY! :wink:

Seriously, this does strike me as a little bit authoritarian, just because some folk have NO common sense, everyone is assumed to be idiots needing to be lead around by the nose and patted on the head and told what to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

How else do you filter out the LCD?
I'm sure good ideas would be welcomed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:50 pm 

Dazzaman wrote:
...this does strike me as a little bit authoritarian, just because some folk have NO common sense, everyone is assumed to be idiots needing to be lead around by the nose and patted on the head and told what to do.

I've been LRPing for a few years now (coming up to a decade all in all) and LT has been my main experience of the hobby.

Although I sympathise with Dazz's point, I really do, when you're organising an event involving thousands of people, you can't help but be authoritarian.

The impression I'm getting from this latest announcement is that, with the advent of 'the compensation culture', they feel they need to err on the side of over-caution to avoid having the whole event knocked on the head.

It only takes one of the idiots mentioned to run over a kid during IC time and that may be our lot, folks.

They have made boo-boos in the past; they will again, (The god/ancestor decision sticks in my craw so much I could spit sometimes), but that wasn't a ruling with H&S implications - this is.

Whether it turns out to be another knee-jerk boo-boo remains to be seen, I suppose. but I can actually see what they are trying do do here I think.

Still, creating a mad rush each end of time in is a fair countering point.

Ho hum... jury is out on my part...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 pm 

Can we ditch this whole idea of "feedback forms" to the LT when there is a clear issue people are annoyed with beforehand.

The problem is one that we are bothered about now, and we dont care that we can complain AFTERWARDS!!!

Does the LT ever back down over a decision, or does it just play its own pathetic "you can give us feedback and we listen" card every time.

Sod compensation culture UK, how about puchasing power culture!?!

James