General
New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 pm 

i doubt very much that the lt will backdown in advance of the G, and in 'theory' they are doing the right thing, the event does, not finish till 5pm on the monday and it is those of us who pack up andbring vehicle onto site early that are the odd ones.

This is sightly at odds with the way things really are but experience is what we all learn from even the LT.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Njal wrote:
Can we ditch this whole idea of "feedback forms" to the LT when there is a clear issue people are annoyed with beforehand.

The problem is one that we are bothered about now, and we dont care that we can complain AFTERWARDS!!!

Speaking as just some bloke in Hitchin, I can but repeat the suggestion I gave, as regards making arrangments Before The Monday;
DM wrote:
Don't forget the original posting, which said....
Quote:
If anyone has any special arrangements that means they need their car on site between these time you will have to clear it with Belle in Security when you arrive at the event.

... so if people have big stuff to move, tell Security as soon as you can.

Go to Security asap, tell them you want to make such arrangements.
Voice your firm but polite opinion to them?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Just for reference, in the good olde days of 94-95 etc, no cars were allowed on the field at all before the event and everyone did have to carry it all or wait for the trailer.
Or put it all in a big box and enjoy an "exhilarating" trip on the "6 wheeled quad of doom"!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:06 am 

That's an interesting point ... Presumably the LT are not going to provide the aforementioned trailer or quad? (I imagine this would have the same effect as cars etc on the field towards roleplaying - but would at least limit the ammont of traffic for H&S requirements)

Personnally I suffer from arthritis in my knees and after a weekend of mayhem and dashing about, probably won't be in a position to lug all my gear to my car. I cannot imagine I am the only person in this type of position, and I imagine poor Belle at security is going to be very busy!

Just my two penneth!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:25 pm 

Being as James has addressed some questions for me directly. Firstly, I'm not on these forums to represent LT, I'm here as a player (and one who enjoys our faction!). I'm not here to take the place of our faction NPCs.

I mentioned feedback forms as they are an important mechanism for reviewing the year and planning changes for the following year, so I want to stress that people should complete them.

The faction command teams are currently passing your feedback on to other members of LT staff. There are daily on site meetings with npcs where issues are discussed and any players are welcome to come and speak to security or game control staff with questions, queries, complaints or praise.

The LT does change its mind on decisions - that is one of the points of having a series of meetings with faction and guild NPCs during the year - to get a range of views and deal with issues.

The LT isn't planning on filling the field with car inspectors behind every blade of grass, this will actually be managed in a sensible way, using common sense.

I'm very sad that there is an impression that the LT is some group of people who want to upset others. 99% of staff were players first, many of us still are. Andy King doesn't dream up ways of agravating people - why would he want to ruin his business? Andy has approx 200 volunteers and I don't know a single one of them who doesn't want to do their part in running a good game/event - and yes, I've been staffing for a fair few years and do know the majority of staff well enough to say that. Not all our ideas work like dreams, but the intention is always to benefit the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:35 pm 
The Maud

As Kate says we have a forum whereby NPC's can talk to each other and LT staff and I've been passing on the general feedback we have had so far and will being doing likewise at the daily on site meetings we have during the Gathering.

The reason given for the decision echoes those points raised here already - that there is a proportion of people who fail to employ common sense and park their cars during 'time in' in silly and potentially dangerous places.

No matter what you think of feedback forms, I have to echo Kate in saying I feel it is just as important to complete these with your opinons as it is to voice your opinon now. We are passing on your feelings pre and during the event. Follow up afterwards is just as important if this ruling is to be abolished, continued or modified.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 am 

Thanks for passing on the concerns.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:41 am 

Just one last addendum to this. If the LT is set on stopping cars being on the field (which I agree with in principle by the way..) when are they going to make an effort to turn the market area and traders stalls into a true IC arena??

I, for one, find the sight of the traders vans and cars to be a real distraction during the weekend and also find that their presence makes it very difficult to carry out any real role-playing.

How about the LT insisting that ALL cars and vans, players and traders alike, be parked in appropriate car parks?

To be honest this is my only real complaint about the Gathering and related events. I'm sure there are others with the same opinion......

james (but not Njal!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:18 am 
The Maud

Unfortunately most staff are now in a field. So I shall raise this in the first NPC meeting of the weekend.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:23 pm 

about traders and vans and trailers many put items away at night for security.

If you take this away then it does pose the question how do the traders keep their items safe over night and get them back in the morning

I do agree it isnt the best to see a van in the field but you do have the food venders with their vans etc. Sometimes we just have to cope with things the best we can when faced with these little difficulties with believable IC situations. But hey cars not on the fields before time out is i think great in 98% of the time while others who have medical conditions who cant carry things over a distance should be permitted on showing of a disability or medical certificate to be allowed to use cars for the moving of kit too and from the camp site

Dont you think imagination is a wonderful thing!!!!! :D otherwise we get a little carried away with removing shouts like sharp, blunt, getting rid of spectacles but hey now im getting extremist

hope to see you soon at the G

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:07 pm 

how's about cam nets to hide the OC trader vehicles. I'd be surprised if you can't pick them up cheaply from Army Surplus stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:12 pm 

i agree with you mate, this is probably the best solution and depending on cost traders should be able to have them, otherwise maybe LT would like to get them to keep the 'reality' in their world as close as possible

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Kennyh wrote:
I'd be surprised if you can't pick them up cheaply from Army Surplus stores.

One of the biggest army surplus depots in the country is in Derby.
E.g. Jim has collected camo for our monster kit from there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:16 pm 

iv brought some camo netting before, large enuf to hide a car, i think it cost about 20-30 squid...

Profile E-mail