General
New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kindle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 pm 

Am currently working on setting up my first book to adapt for Kindle and try for online publishing with Amazon. Anyone done this before and got any pointers at all on what I should look for/do?

Post subject: Re: Kindle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:32 pm 

You own rights to this book ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm 

Step 1: Format your eBook

Books for Kindle are delivered to the Kindle in Amazon's own proprietary AZW format, however the Kindle for PC/Android/Mac application can also read other formats.

My advice is to get your book into the .mobi or .epub formats. .mobi is best, you can use the free Mobipocket Creator Home Edition to create your ebook.

Once done, use calibre to convert your word doc to OPF and see how it functions in the Kindle for PC application this will give you an idea of any potential problems with the conversion Amazon will do.

To add a non Amazon book to your Kindle for PC simply drop the file in C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Kindle Content

Step 2: Create an Account

One of the advantages to going with the Kindle for your digital platform is that any Amazon.com account should basically be good for this already. Simply head to the DTP Log-in screen and enter your usual information. If this is your first time playing with the DTP service, you’ll be asked for some basic publishing-specific settings such as tax information and preferred payment method. It’s pretty straightforward and you should have little trouble.

Step 3: Upload Your Book

They’ve made this part really simple. Assuming you are still logged into the DTP system, you will see a button that says “Add a New Title”. Click on it and enter all the information it asks for. You’ll need to provide not only your book file and a description of the work to sell it with, but also any important publication data, an assurance that you have a right to publish the book, a decision about whether or not to enable DRM, and a cover/product image. The product image is important, since it is what will appear on the product page in the Kindle store.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:33 pm 

Lastwolf wrote:
You own rights to this book ?

I hope so, I wrote it you see ... which is a point probably ought to look into copyrighting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 am 

Sounds good.
What's it about and what's it called?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 am 

I should of coarse add...

AZW format files can with the correct software be converted into other formats, including Word...

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/drm-re ... t5437.html

So yes, Copy writing in advance is essential.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 pm 

Dargathi,
I've got a copy of the story posted to myself via recorded delivery but figured I'd need something a little more solid.

Teigh,
'Fine Tales of Unusual Occurrences', it's about a Inventor in Victorian England and was described as 'Sherlock Holmes meets HP Lovecraft and HG Wells down a dark alley.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:03 am 

Apparently... (from Wikihow)

Be aware that if your country is a signatory to the Berne Convention that you automatically own the copyright in any literary or creative work that you make yourself.[1] In general, your copyright is protected in the countries that are signatories to the Convention as well. And while there is no need to place the © symbol on your works, it is advisable as it acts as an alert to other people that you claim your copyright rights over the written work.

This protection covers all of Western Europe, the USA and Canada, Russia, Australia and New Zealand, and many other countries. You can find a list of all the country signatories at WIPO's site: http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowRes ... eaty_id=15.

The World Intellectual Property Organization does not offer a registration service for copyright because a created work is protected by copyright as soon as it exists but it does acknowledge that many countries have national registration systems in place and that for some countries, this serves as prima facie evidence in a court of law as to copyright ownership

While registration isn't essential, it is a way of establishing your intent to claim your rights and it makes it easier for others searching for copyright information to find your copyright. Registering your copyright also makes it easier to prove your claim in court if your work is plagiarized.

There is more here - http://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-a-Book

Mark P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm 

Quote:
'Sherlock Holmes meets HP Lovecraft and HG Wells down a dark alley.

Now if you tell me they are all packing prototype pump action shotguns I am definitely interested :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 pm 

Latineascent wrote:
Quote:
'Sherlock Holmes meets HP Lovecraft and HG Wells down a dark alley.

Now if you tell me they are all packing prototype pump action shotguns I am definitely interested :mrgreen:

Nope, but if you can imagine a four barrelled elephant gun can can fire one, two or all four barrels at once then you're on the money!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:11 pm 

How you going with getting this on Amazon?
I want to read it, sounds intersting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm 

Going through proof reading at the moment (three chapters left to do!) and the progress of the cover illustration has stalled somewhat. (The artist has completed the group image I requested but wants to add to it.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure to post a link here when it's up! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 pm 

Considering I am going to be using sales (Oh God I hope it sells!) from Amazon as supporting documentation when I next approach a Literary Agent/Publishing company you can bet I will be plastering that link everywhere I can! :wink: