New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Q's on IC time-keeping and slavery
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:25 pm 

Hi,

The Gathering will be our first event with the Wolves, and we had a couple of gameworld questions that I guess are probably widely known so thought I would ask here and see if anyone can help:

- Timekeeping: I've read that it's thought the day was usually divided into eight segments in the Viking period, is this used in the Wolves? We're hoping to set up a large sundial in camp using a stake and signs on the ground, and were thinking of using the division into eight but also with smaller markers in between to show OOC hours, so it can be used to tell the time IC and OOC, but wanted to check what the norm is.

- I've also read about the widespread use of slaves captured in battle in Viking society, and wondered how this translates to the Wolves (both how prevalent slavery is if at all, and what the usual terms are for a slave gaining their freedom).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Q's on IC time-keeping and slavery
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Hiya,

whilst the Wolf faction in the Lorien Trust gameworld is based upon Viking culture, it's not re-enactment, so there are a number of things you'll find that trade-off for real-world practicality.

Timekeeping
We use standard modern-world timekeeping to avoid confusion. Watches and clocks are generally considered to be out-of-character, but many people keep a watch on them, under a sleeve or in a pouch.

Slaves
An interesting one. There has been some anti-slavery plot run in the past within the gameworld and the Wolves will be quick to point out that the Wolves do NOT keep slaves, but instead we have Thralls.
Thralls are different to slaves in that they are typically better looked after, but other differences are quite subtle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 pm 

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply, a 24 hour clock it is then. To explain a bit more about where I'm coming from with the timekeeping, I've been attending LT events since 1994, and in my experience (which may not be representative) I've often found timekeeping one of the more awkward aspects of the game, with a mixture of furtive glances at watches and vague references to meeting at dusk. The sundial we want to make in camp is an attempt to deal with that in a slightly less clunky, and more fun, way. We're fortunate in knowing someone who can do the maths for this and has built them before, so it will be set up with the right measurements for the latitude and time of year. We'll have to see if it works (obviously very dependent on being in camp, daylight hours and the weather, but if I have to look at an OOC watch even a little bit less that will be an improvement in my view).

On thralls, could anyone offer any guidance on how common they are? Are we talking about two thralls to every citizen (or whatever term is used to distinguish people who aren't thralls), with some thralls attached to virtually every household, or are they rarer than that? And what the usual process is for thralls to be freed? My understanding is that historically there was a separate category ('freemen' I think?) that was applied to people who had been thralls, and they and their children would continue to be tied to employment with their former owner, and only a few generations later would they be fully free - is that the case for thralls in the Wolves? This is particularly important for the backgrounds of some members of our group, but would be useful for all of us to try and get a clear picture of the social structures our characters are part of. Apologies for so many questions, and if I'm asking things that aren't general knowledge outside the faction and so shouldn't be asked on a public forum just let me know and I will pursue these questions by pm.

Thanks,

Tom

Grove Guardian and Captain of the Trellborg Squadron
Uvaevelv and Child of Fjallay

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 pm 

Jarl=noble
Karl=freeman
Thrall=serf/slave/captive.
Theres a story in the mythology on how heimdall created the 3 classes of men after receiving hospitality from 3 men called Jarl, Karl, Thrall. I think wikipedia has a decent account.

Typically the average wolf would be a carl, with 'regional jarl' official faction positions, leaving room for a group leader to be the jarl of their town/area.

To be honnest the best account on how the faction considers thralls is in the song 'enthrall the world'
Song :: Enthrall the World
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=541