New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question on bosses and wooden shields
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:46 pm 

Hi all,

I'm making some shields for the Gathering and was wondering if somebody who knows about such things could advise me, as I want to make sure the shields comply with weapons safety standards. I've made a few wooden strap shields in the past that I've used at LT events and were fine, but this time I want to make a shield with a central handle rather than straps. That would seem to require either raising the handle off the back off the shield or adding a boss so the hand can reach partially into the shield. I've read in the weapon specs that rigid bosses aren't allowed, does anyone know if bosses are ok as long as they are padded and compressible to 50% of their depth? I've come up with a design as follows:

- 28" diameter plywood base, with a 3 1/2" diameter hole in the centre
- Wooden handle attached across the back of the hole, wrapped in cloth/leather
- Centre hole covered by two silicone poaching pods , with a 12mm layer of foam between them (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Silicone-E ... 0896661221), and painted with silver latex
- Wooden face and edges of the shield covered with 12mm layer of foam with canvas over the top

I hope that's clear, if it's not or people want any further details let me know. I haven't tested out the design yet as I wanted to check first whether the basic concept of a padded boss would be likely to pass. Any help with this, or a pointer toward somebody who could help, would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Grove Guardian and Captain of the Trellborg Squadron
Uvaevelv and Child of Fjallay

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Question on bosses and wooden shields
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 am 

Ah yes, I remember tackling this issue years ago... all our shields had fibreglass bosses back then!

My current shield is almost exactly as you described, but without the silicone, and the boss is simply built up with several layers of foam, which has some flex, but is overall solid padding.
We had some early shields with a thinner/flexible padded boss (6mm layer of foam), and they were frowned upon as they didn't protect the hand very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:45 am 

Certainly sounds OK, subject to the usual disclaimers about having to see it before being able to give a definitive answer.

The only other thing I'd mention is the "Canvas over the top" that you mentioned (regarding the face and edges). Depending on whether the canvas is loose or glued. You would have to make sure that the glue doesn't make the canvas too hard - Copydex would be good, PVA could set too solid. Again, would have to look at it.

Cheers,
Stephen S (with Weapons check hat on)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 pm 

Great, thanks to you both for the advice, that's very helpful.

Cheers,
Tom

Grove Guardian and Captain of the Trellborg Squadron
Uvaevelv and Child of Fjallay

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:44 pm 

Thinking about it... we used calico on some shields, which we stuck down using mastic (a rubberised sealant/glue) then painted that with latex.

Also, being a centre boss shield, you'll most likely have a brace across the back for the handle... remember to make sure that there is no sharp edges or screws sticking through!