New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:29 pm 

So let me get this straight.

If my character does some things between events on a forum or whatever when I get to an event I am allowed to talk about what I've been doing at home or whatever but none of it actually happened?

Have I got that right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Certainly as far as I know, characters only do things at events.
Except via LT Research Requests or "doing OSP Training".

Specifically (my conjecture), LT Player Characters only do things at Time-Ins sanctioned by the LT. Which this forum, down the pub, chasing your mates around a random field, are not.

You may have conversations at other times which, upon a sanctioned time-in, consenting parties can agree took place for the purpose of reacting to them.
However, as far as the Game System / Campaign is concerned no PCs did anything. Except via LT Research Requests or "doing OSP Training".

See Tony's good comment about the L in LRP.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:20 am 

Presumably rule 7 applies a bit here. I'd be hard pressed to imagine the LT coming down like a ton of bricks on a player who, upon timing in would boast about how much beer their character drank in some downtime drinking contest, how many women/men they'd conquered, or gave some long rambling account of their new-found revolutionary process for cleaning chainmail, if these things provided some entertainment and colour, but didn't actually have any discernible effect on the gameworld. And if a story became an hurdle to the plots refs at any time, they'd be within their rights to "veto" the story and state that it never happened.
People tell stories all the time, and if they didn't we'd all lose a huge chunk of suspension of disbelief.

But telling stories of singlehandedly conquering the Empire, storming cities, performing incredibly powered rituals to fall into the void gate, wander into another dimension, and calling in a personal favour from Odin to have someone killed by a thunderbolt would be deemed too extravagant, and a ref would take the player aside for a "little chat".

Am I even in the right ballpark here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Steve - I think you're about right there.

The thing is, the LT cannot and will not regulate what one player says to another IC (unless it's blatantly disruptive - see below).

So, if Bob and Dave agree on a Wednesday night before the Gathering that their characters have spent the last two weeks hunting trolls in the marshland near their town, then, for all intents and purposes, they have.

To clarify - when they get to the event and tell people that's what they've been doing, IC, then (as long as it doesn't contradict with the gameworld or with research/OSP training they have been doing) that's what they've been doing.

If they turn up with a couple of phys-rep foam troll heads, to show as trophies, then cool.

There's no reason why that kind of "downtime" activity shouldn't happen, to add colour to the gameworld. It doesn't involve NPCs or official plots.

The key thing to remember is, that if the trolls in the marsh were an official plot of any sort, then Bob and Dave would have to follow a differerent route.

I can't say exactly how it would work if it were an official plot, but certainly, OTHER THAN BY AN OFFICIAL LT RESEARCH REQUEST, you may NOT advance any plot during downtime.

That right DM?

Of course, on the flip side, there's the kinds of restrictions that have always been in place - if Bob and Dave decide that their characters burned down Odinsheim a week before the Gathering, and started telling people IC that they had, then that blatantly didn't happen. You get the idea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:01 am 

*Mulls over the possibility of sending numerous Research Requests covering all his characters downtime activity*

ie. While womanizing his way across Estragales, how many Gryphon women does Kasimir find to be natural blondes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:10 pm 
Part-time mod

In defense of the LT policy here you can understand why there are restrictions like this in place.

Imagine the following examples.

"What do you mean I need a Lammie for my enchanted sword of everything slaying? I picked it up off the dead ancestor when I was role-playing online last week!"

"Look, there's no way you can play that character at the Gathering - I killed her last week on the boards. Yeah, I know it happened after you logged off, but it's what would have happened - honest!"

"I was made Mayor of Madeupsville last month - all the regular online players had a vote and I won. So where's all the gold I'm due in taxes?"

"Yeah, I know I died at the Moots. But all the Ancestors got together and decided to bring me back to life. When? It happened online. The guy running the plots on the site said it would be cool."

Obviously, none of the fine role-players that make up the Wolves would get into anything like that, but you could see how, with some people, it could cause problems.

And, like Tony said - Lorien Trust is a LIVE role-play group. Anything happening on-line (and it's always going to happen, no matter what the rules might say) should be used to develop characters or expand on things that have happened at events. Not to replace or over-ride them.

Cheers

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
but certainly, OTHER THAN BY AN OFFICIAL LT RESEARCH REQUEST, you may NOT advance any plot during downtime.

That is a good further clarification wording. It address more the real issue with the LT - that plot is only advanced at events.

If it doesn't effect the Gameworld/Campaign then you can say what you like.

Of course, there is an ever present caveat, best expressed by saying "Gosh, I really hope the ref/GM doesn't set XYZ next, cos we've left the ZYX behind" just before you IC open the door to the next room........

e.g trolls (& grobbie) may have big brothers....!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Roy also has hit the spot. Or certainly one of the several spots :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:47 pm 

Well, I can see the point of downtime roleplaying not generating in-game mechanic effects (ie Plastic cash, lammies etc) which covers Roy's point, but beyond that I think there is a degree of paranoia involved here.

To be honest, the average amount of events attended by a normal LARPer in a year doesn't really justify the term "Campaign" in the old fashioned tabletop sense of the word. What they are trying to do is restrict the roleplaying to a series of occasional set piece "tournament" style games.

Which I think is a shame, but hey its not my company at the end of the day....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

As stated on posting one, this topic is to iron out the understanding of the mechanic, not to deliberate its virtues, as it is not in any of our hands to alter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:03 pm 

So...
...to clarify...
Downtime RP is OK, as long as it has no effect on unwilling players, the setting, or the plot, and isn't some sneaky way of conveying information?
EXCELLENT!
Gotta get me some phys-rep killer duck heads... ...those maurauding *CENSORED* won't go near MY home village in a hurry!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Okay, but just remember to carry your ZYX at all times..........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:35 am 
Site Admin

It'sonlyNeil wrote:
To be honest, the average amount of events attended by a normal LARPer in a year doesn't really justify the term "Campaign" in the old fashioned tabletop sense of the word.

It's not any one player, it's all of them.
The gameworld has perhaps 30 to 90 hours of moderated time-in per week, many weeks of the year. By Campaign I mean the entire set of inter-operating plot hreads throughout everyone who runs events in this gameworld. The Campaign has thus been running since August, 1992.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:28 am 

But all any individual character ever does is attend a few "gatherings in the woods near town X" a year, usually for no real reason at all except that "town X" happens to be on the flight path of a plot thread that the character won't know anything about until after he's arrived. For no real reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:08 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry, Jan Policy prevents me from replying to that as I would like.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:47 pm 

Don't worry DM, you can hit me with the unexpurgated version over a beer this time next week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:34 pm 
The Maud

:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

It'sonlyNeil wrote:
.................... this time next week...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuggllleeee

:bonk: :blahblah: :boo: :frustrated: :omfg: :omfg: :omg: :pacman: :pissedoff: :phonecall: :psychoitc: :popcorn: :stupidme: :whisper: :wtf: :worker: :yoda: :yawn: :teamwork: :toilet: :xmasrudolph:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:49 pm 

woh!

its like the gathering.....

but cheeper!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 pm 

So, basically, it comes down to common sense what your character's been up to outside of events. If it's not allowable, you'll probably just *know*. And if you don't, it'll be overruled as soon as it becomes important.