New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: LT Downtime Policy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Just so when we get to the Gathering, and some of you may get told various things that have happened in the preceding months, and want to know why you didn't see this on a website on the Wednesday before, or even get told personally in writing, a short summary of LT Downtime Policy.

LT Downtime Policy - There is No Downtime.

That means (possibly paraphrased) we (the NPCs) can't tell you (the players) anything which is not generally known - except at an event at which you are IC.

By generally known, we can supply a general background on something to help people with preparing (new) character backgrounds.

However, if at the end of the Moots it was known a large Army of Killer Ducks was marching on Odinsheim and was merely hours away, we could not tell you that they laid waste to the city and kidnapped Kara for some evil Duck Ritual to be held in July ... until you were at the Gathering.

However, if notify us you will be at some intermediate Sanctioned Event, we may endeavour to supply information to be given to your character there, by us or a third party.

In addition, while your character may not actively do anything except at events (except in an offical LT Research Request), if you have NPC resources (general of FMP, Master Scout perhaps) you may direct them to gather information - to be delivered to you, as described above.

This means that anything you want to claim you have done in the time preceding an event cannot be guarenteed to be valid unless and/or until you have been updated at an event.

I'll leave this topic unlocked for people to seek clarifications.
Please do not use this topic other than to clarify the mechanic of it.
If you want to discuss other aspects of this policy then please contact faction command or the LT head office.

Last edited by DM on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:53 pm 

Quote:
That means (possibly paraphrased) we (the NPCs) can't tell you (the players) anything which is not generally known - except at an event at which you are IC.

Does this mean "except at an event at which you are playing"? What I mean is this:

From your example, let's say I'm a resident of Odinsheim and I know the Ducks were preparing to attack, then I turn up to the Gathering as a player. In what ways can I be told about what the Ducks have been up to? Can I grab an NPC type and ask them OOC what had happened on the Thursday night or Friday morning, or do I have to be told IC? Having to be told IC about the events in my own town would be slightly odd, as my character would know that already. I can understand the policy of only making the information available at events but I would expect that information (for the people likely to be involved in the incidents, at least - non Odinsheim residents would be less likely to know what had happened until told IC) to be available OOC once the players' arrive onsite and find a ref.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

You are correct, and we would hope to provide specific information to anyone who should have specific information before they would need it to matter to them (don't worry, I'm an ex-Omega player and waiting for downtimes to find out if you were dead until the 2nd day of play is something I've suffered!)

What we have to do is only pass that info to you (verbally or printed) once you are going to be IC (onsite should be enough).

We should have general bulletins available for everyone about general issues - such as the weather(!) and military conflicts.

What we can't do (any more) is post information as it is relevant, in 'real time', via the convenience of websites.

Nor can we supply reactions to PC statements of intent until that PC is next at an event where we can get info to them by word or paper.
This can be any Sanctioned Event, not just one where we are running/involved in it.

This is certainly the limitation we have to impose initially to make sure we (the NPCs) are conforming with LT Policy.

Oh yeah, and in between we have to run the event.

Last edited by DM on Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:19 pm 

i think this is A SECRET MESSAGE and DM is trying to help us out....

we must all work on a plan to save the fair lady!!!!! and dispose of these nasty duck no good nicks!!!!!........ i would suggest crispy aromatic duck with pancakes ummmmm....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
i think this is A SECRET MESSAGE and DM is trying to help us out....

No.... or at least not one about aromatic Kara.

Yes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, c'mon DM, fancy leaking info on our new duck plot .... :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:50 am 
Site Admin

It's the stress!

I'm quacking up.........

:shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:00 am 
Site Admin

That was a fowl pun!

(note - I know, ducks are game, but ... a joke is a joke is a joke)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 am 

So, say for instance, I'd been asked by someone else to do something, and I'd contacted the plot team and said "I want to do X before the next event". Does that mean X won't start until the first event I go to after contacting the plot team? I.e. At which point I'm IC to do X.

Also, If I'd contacted the plot team and said I'd like to do X because Y had asked me to, and X had been started, if I wasn't at the next event, but Y was, would that mean Y would have to wait until the next event I was at to know about X, or could that information be passed straight to Y?

Also, wibble!

Si.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:55 am 
Site Admin

People can contact their plot teams and advise them of their intent.
And note - characters can't do anything between events
(as far as I can tell so far)
(except for LT Research Requests).

You can advise plot team what you wish your NPC resource to do, and you can tell them who these folk should report to, which can be you and other people. You can have them start (as we are not in 'real time') anytime between hmmm "when you say" and "the last event'". Where 'last' may vary depending on the exact situation.

As we haven't particularly done it yet, I have no idea how distributing info to people via "someone else's'" event will operate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:59 pm 

So, can a character relate tales of their deeds between events to other characters AT an event...... or do they all simply go into hibernation in between events?

I have to admit this is doing serious damage to my "suspension-of-disbelief space/time continuum"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:14 pm 

Quote:
So, can a character relate tales of their deeds between events to other characters AT an event...... or do they all simply go into hibernation in between events?

I have to admit this is doing serious damage to my "suspension-of-disbelief space/time continuum"...

Ditto :( Bah, well I plan to carry on telling people what I've been up to at events, on the understanding that if the stories of my actions come into contact with actual plot, the refs can always say that Lester has been blatantly lying IC, which is fine with me. Making up banter about troll wives and stealing entire pubs, whether sanctioned or not, comes under the banner of "good roleplay", at least from my point of view. The LT world would be a very bland place if nobody was able to make up stuff on the spot, and every minute detail had to be sanctioned. I hope this opinion isn't going to get me banned... :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:20 pm 
Yup, I agree with you Neil (ok, says she who's not turned up to any events for over a year) When I was coming to events, it did the same.

Thing I don't understand is: the suggested reasons for this (or so I heard) were that those players without internet access, should not be "penalised" by plot/actions that were carried out via email/internet between events. Fair enough. I know several players who a few years ago got peeved when they got to events to find out that X, Y and Z had happened without their knowledge.

But it's bizarre to me that it's become more stringent over the past few years, when more and more people have internet access (god, hark at me sounding like "in the good ol' days). I know that there are people who still don't have access, or don't have regular access, but I also think it's odd to expect you to go home from an event, and put your character into a form of hibernation until the next event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

1/
LT Downtime Policy covers when we NPCs can tell non-NPCs information about NPC events. Also that you can't have your PC perform a downtime action except as part of a LT Research Request.
Note that an LT Research Request can generate in-game material beyond just some text on a page.

2/
PCs can say what they like at events, and online and inbetween events and down the pubs.

As an example.....

While DM is an LT NPC, he cannot create a website such as www.VIEW-Online.com and then find out what happens at each sanctioned event every weekend from his mates and post such info on the web under the guise of Jax-Ur. However, anyone who is not an LT NPC could do such a thing, as the LT regulates the actions of their NPCs - not any part of the web, or the actions of its players except at events.

Be careful what questions you ask me next?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

LOL - yup - NPCs are restricted in what they say can and cannot say to PCs, huh?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:20 pm 

"I'm sorry Citizen, that information is not available at your Security Clearance"

... Sorry, it's been too long since I played Paranoia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Rich wrote:
LOL - yup - NPCs are restricted in what they say can and cannot say to PCs, huh?

It is perhaps more to the point that PCs are not restricted in any way or media.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Well, of course not, the players of PCs are not part of the LT staff, so therefore whatever they choose to do between events is entirely up to them ....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:13 am 

I know that this is a bit off topic (Sorry DM!) and I know that these "new" rules are going to be a pain, but I confess that I like it - LRP has an L in it for a reason and I've never liked "ley heroes" myself.

Still, not being able to put background out sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:47 am 
Site Admin

I think the main issues may be people understanding there is a change and then just getting used to working within it.
I'm certainly for the L in LRP.
From an event delivery POV, it means that we loose a good medium for getting some people wound-up and running.
October is fairly okay in that hopefully the Gathering should springboard what we need. Going to an event after a 6 month gap, almost without info, may be iffy - we shall see.
We may need "NWO volume" player briefs in the future :cry:

Profile E-mail