My stuff

Out-of-Character Information

General
New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New to LARP
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 pm 

Teigh wrote:
I'd keep the bod-dev it lets you survive a blast, or crush which is always good.
Maybe drop the Sleepless Chanting (as others have said, people just hit healers when they want them to stop. :)) and take Armour Mastery instead, this effectively gives you medium armour and doesn't hinder your skills, as casting in medium is a problem. Not certain if that effects Healers as they're all touch spells?

Blast doesn't go through armour, if you get hit with crush and you don't have armour you go to 0 just like everyone else no matter how much Body Dev you have.

Healing is not hindered by Medium or Heavy armour use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm 

Spike wrote:
Blast doesn't go through armour, if you get hit with crush and you don't have armour you go to 0 just like everyone else no matter how much Body Dev you have.

Sorry, my explanation wasn't very good.
What I should have said was most people go for "blast head" so the bod-dev stops you going down straight away.

Wasn't sure about the healing in armour. Thanks for clearing that up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 pm 

My point is by not taking Body Dev you free up the points so you can take Healing 2, and by taking Medium Armour you start with 2 AV and if you take Armour Mastery then you have the same amount of hits.

True you will go down due to Through if you are hit once but generally if someone wants to hit you with Through they will hit you multiple times to make sure you are down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

That's a much better idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

So trying to take everyones advice, and I would love to take Healing 2, however I reckon there are a lot of people that can go through armour with through, which is why I am hesitant to drop the body development. So I guess I could be the healer to deal with minor wounds so the people with healing 2 could save their spell cards for more serious wounds.

I wanted to take cartography, because as a new player I'd love to have a map to find my way about and explore the areas, as well as if I create detailed maps of certain areas I could try to sell them for a small income, and also a nice roleplay skill to have.

I guess I did want a throwing weapon, but I felt Contribute would allow me to make more friends, and my throwing aim isn't that great anyway, same reason I didn't take a bow (though I'd love one).

Was also looking into taking High Countermagic, as being able to stop level 3 spells would be fun, but I think it is just for spellcasters?

Sleepless chanting, well if someone tries to attack me with a sword when I am awake, at least i can fight back, but if they put me to sleep first, I am a very easy kill, sure they can try fumble my swords, but I have two, and they can cause fear (but least then I can run away).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm 

Archery is great fun but it's an expensive skill that you hardly get to use. I'm sure others will agree with me here.
You can't shoot if it's too windy, wet, dark, too many people, etc.
When you come, ask Kendrick nicely if you can see his Archers Guild T-shirt. :)
Thrown weapons is a much better as you can use it any time.
As for not throwing well, you should see Red throw... :lol:

The best thing to do it decide what you want your character to do. Choose those skills. Try them and if you don't like it change them for the next event.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:15 am 

If that's what you want to do then do it. But in my experience people put monsters to sleep not player characters ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 pm 

Quote:
Sleepless chanting, well if someone tries to attack me with a sword when I am awake, at least i can fight back, but if they put me to sleep first, I am a very easy kill, sure they can try fumble my swords, but I have two, and they can cause fear (but least then I can run away).

We are a faction of fighters (generally). Therefore anyone attacking our healers is dimly viewed and usually set upon by a dozen people. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 pm 

Healing 8
Ambidexterity 2
Medium Armour 3 (will change to light armour for cartography if I can't get my hands on medium armour)
Power 2
Contribute 1

Herb Lore 10
Revive 10
+4 Spell cards 10
Armour Mastery 20

also wondering, would this protect me from through damage? as although it goes through armour, the damage would still be normal

AURA OF DEFENCE
SELF MAGICAL ENCHANT EFFECT

For 10 seconds, the caster and all equipment carried By the caster gain Immunity to all level 1 & 2 ranged effects and Immunity to Normal damage. This effect may only be used for defence, if the caster casts any offensive effect or strikes anyone, the effect will cease immediately.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:22 pm 

it will stop the through damage but only normal if its enchanted ect still hurts :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:24 pm 

It would protect you for the damage but not the through effect, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't worry, or get hung up on, other hitting you. It happens sometimes but not as often as you think, as usually you have a great big shield wall in front of you.

I'd focus more on developing your healing abilities, that way people will want to protect you. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm 

Unless you don't realise that the shield wall migrated and for some reason you ended up infront of it without knowing but I'm sure this has only happened to me a few times :) Might also have something to do with me being a bit daydreamy and not listenening to people telling me to stop wandering off :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:11 pm 

If you're taking Medium armour and Armour Mastery, may i suggest Quick Armour Repair if you can afford it? (I THINK you could alongside your current selections) as I can tell you from experience, it saves a lot of time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm 

or get friendly with an enchanter :wink: otherwise your gonna be stood there a while after a good mosh :p

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

I've just retired a character that had light armour for appearances sake, no dev, no weapons whatsoever, 24 spellcards, incant 1, healing 2 with advanced healing. And I tended to wander around the battlefield like no-one could touch me. You'd be surprised how little I got hit. It's all about being aware of what's going on around you, and running away squealing like a girl when necessary. :wink:

Healing 8
Incantation 4
Power 2
Light Armour 2

Advanced Healing (20, + Revive 10)
+4 Spellcards 10

Simple but effective, and it lets you repair bleeding Paladins (Immune to normal healing...)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:34 pm 

I wouldnt worry so much about THROUGH, it is a nice skill that ordinary players can get, but not one commonly used by monsters. And as a lot of people have said, so long as you pay attention where you are with regards to where the battle line is, you shouldnt be in any trouble

Either that, or come join Throsgaard, we take a lot of care in protecting the healers (So does everyone tbh but still :P )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

The best armour in a fight is to get out of the way! :D

Hard skills not soft skills.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm 

Hang around with me and the other newbies we make a pretty good team you'll find us hiding behind the throsies or the Fenris, or the bumble bees xD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:50 pm 

Aww Adie, I miss Edmund already.

Stef has a good point, if you want to stick close to us we managed to keep retty much out of trouble in the final battle last time. Admittedly this at one point involvd a full on sprint across the field at one point, but it was an epic sprint :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:58 pm 

Yeah leaving me behind to go o..o crap I was ment to be protecting them guys! Run run run run.
I like to hide behind anything that has a shield.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next