Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gate
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 am 
Plot Croc
Plot Croc

Our group has been thinking about build a gate for the Faction, we shall transport it over ourselves and take it back with us. We are wondering if there are any particular requirements that have to be met or is it purely a common sense policy and remember that people will be running about it and the potential of combat near it.

The only problem with the common sense policy is that we are not wanting to spend money time and effort in building the greatest gate ever and then being told "No you cant have that because the its the wrong type of wood or the screws need to be larger". The reason why im asking this is that on several occasions regarding the staff in the LT system is that one person will tell you one thing and you follow that to the letter and then another person contradicts them. The end result is that we are left with a Larp Gate that we cant use. As much as i would love to have it as my entrance to my drive way my neighbours would go nuts and a i would have a real siege on my hands!!!!!!

We have posted on the LT website but as we all know there is more chance of a Nirvana reunion with Freddy Mercury co singing than getting an answer

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

GLenn

Post subject: Re: Gate
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 am 

The Harts used to put up a fantastic gate while I was there that included a double door and two mounting blocks either side that people could stand on. Asking them how theirs was constructed might be an idea. I know Shawn and Jason who came to our event recently used to help with it and they might be a good starting point.

There are some comments on gates in the players handbook: http://www.lorientrust.com/downloads/PlayersV3.pdf

However, these don’t contain material guidelines or specifications. When the safety officer comes to inspect it he will jump on it, shove it, test the screws and edges and do everything he can to see if anyone is going to have something fall on them, collapse and or break at a critical moment… or any other moment.

My suggestion would be start planning and thinking about the structure and safety aspects while waiting for the LT to get back to you and if necessary, waiting for May when you can go and pick up the official guidelines from Games Control.

James

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am 

Jon and Bobbie built a fantastic gate one year which the LT peeps were impressed with. Sadly there was nowhere to store it so it didn't last but perhaps they'll be able to give you some pointers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:56 am 

There are official LT guidelines on gates. Email Caz and I'm sure she can get a copy for you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 pm 
Plot Croc
Plot Croc

Thanks folks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:40 am 

Shelter from wind/rain would be nice, though I know that would probably be a much bigger job. Anybody lend me a Viking umbrella?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:31 am 

Yeah, sure, I happen to have a few of those in my back garden. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:30 pm 

Yeah we were talking about including a shelter as part of the gate, so that guards can see out and still have protection from the elements!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 am 
Plot Croc
Plot Croc

mag on and stag on, no shelter needed :)