My stuff

Out-of-Character Information

General
New Picture Gallery
Old Picture Gallery
Events
Links

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:22 pm 

MartinSmith wrote:
Speaking of bows, I've heard that the OSP "Fletching" is going to bite the dust. Now how am I going to shoot skellingtons?

As there is no sharp or blunt in the system under Rules V3 then there will be no need for Fletching as it is currently worded. How the change in the rules will affect the OSP will be seen with the publication of the new OSP book which is to come shortly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:34 pm 

Mage bolt is still a level 3, so not everyone is going to be lobbing them around. If I'm honest I have only ever seen/recieved a mage bolt a dozen times tops for the 3 years I'v played.

How many people actually have it?

Also, if said people who do have it, do end up making themselves a pain in the **** for other people, they will wind up dead sooner rather than later.

Also, despite some players having a sick number of spell cards a day, these can run out just as Lester pointed out. Once this happens, they can die just as quick as the next man/elf/orc/thing

Finally, has the OSP system changed? Perhaps level 3 mage and Double will be more expensive or harder to get?

Just my own thoughts

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 pm 

Rich too wrote:
MartinSmith wrote:
Speaking of bows, I've heard that the OSP "Fletching" is going to bite the dust. Now how am I going to shoot skellingtons?

As there is no sharp or blunt in the system under Rules V3 then there will be no need for Fletching as it is currently worded. How the change in the rules will affect the OSP will be seen with the publication of the new OSP book which is to come shortly.

Dont suppose you have any clue as to when do you Rich?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Offical word is "at the Heartl-.. GEF".

However, it would be very prudent of the LT to publish "provisional translations" (or whatever) before the 14th of April, especially for those (few) OS whose function must change in R3.

I hear it is still "in debate". No idea if that is still in a "teddybear attrition" phase.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:07 pm 

At the HeartGelfLandGamesFayre? So what do I put on me booking form as I already have the skill?

What a conundrum! What a pickle! What a pain!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

On your booking form you put the OS that you have.
That bit is easy. There is no choice.

What might effect some people is the Character Skill choice they might have to change, possibly based on the effect of the R3 OS definitions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:47 pm 

Makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 pm 

I welcome the changes...mages being something to fear is a good thing...

Magic in the LT has always seemed so black and decker, undeserving of the pomposity which players often like to play mages as possessing....the spells seemed to have been ordered from JML

(FIX THAT BROKEN SWORD FOR ONLY 11.99 plus POSTAGE)

which performed limited gadgetry for a very limited time...there are some good additions.

Magic should be something to fear and respect

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

In a lot of LRP, mages have to be limited, wheeled out on special occassions resources. Before the bloke with tin hats do the Bad Guys. Perhaps it has to be that way otherwise, yes, the thugs would just be meatshields.

Sounds like Ars Magica to me. Where Mages Matter. Sadly for a general LRP game, no-one else does.

I think the LT is just not the environment for "sophisticated magic" to ever shine for more than a moment here and there. Perhaps under R3 some might at least be the "lucky 5 Iron" taken from the golf bag of combat for the tricky shot, and respected as that resource.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 pm 

The problem is the combat focus people have in the LT, I;ve played characters who were not wildy combat effective (1 hits ritualists/mages were the worst) and got sneered at and generally ignored because I would be "No use in a fight"
What annoys me is because the magic system is so quantified (every knows the rules and what everone can do) people have already decided in their head exactly hwo you could be used in battle and classified you. It can be a bit like being a model in a wargame.

Dunno where i am going with this, just a general moan.

I love rules 3, I have always wanted to see Mages and Incantors be scary and now they genuinly are. And I currenly play the worst hit type: a Fighter/healer, too much healing to buy any body dev let along double, and healing just aint got that much better. Although I am going to laugh my arse off the first time I pop an aura of defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:18 pm 

Now healing - no thats not uber power - its usually someone looking after their mates.

The hardest thing in the game always was, and possibly still is, the line of thugs alternating bewteen heavy armour and body dev, and heavy armour and healing, backed up by polearmed mages/incantors.

But thats the big scraps, and to be honest, the small skirmish has a lot more centre place in your average day to day life.

A Fantsay system will always have magic at its forefront, and I think largely that is how most people see fantasy, and in most settings LRP wise and others, the mage is often the most high impact.

Yes a tank always has his hits, his skills and his ability to do people damage. But to me the fighter v mage type is close to the tortoise v the hare, but will the tortoise catch up.

Bottom line, I see far more medium/light armour hybrid types these days than I did a few years ago. I see less metal armour in shield walls - Wolves included, becasue I think spells neutralise a thug far quicker than another thug, and lets face it, you only have to go over once for the other person to win. Plus, there has been more PvM, and the shortage of monsters lead to a rise in crush and thru. No point having the heavy armour, if light is just as good, and you can manouvere better. And as a bonus, those points give you some form of magic for healing or resists.

At the end of the day, the roleplaying matters most and rules are just the framework for interaction when its needed.

BUT - think of your fantasy fighters - your Conan's, Slaines, Thruds - you can get uber mages, theres now more magic lists, ritual magic has always been risky but is an accessible magic route to power.

Think PVM - how many monsters may now be immune to normal can you not hurt as a fighter, unless you are fortunate to get a magic sword. Hey - if I'm an Incantor I can now get a weapon power up at level 2.

Its not just the mage bolts, blasts and halts. Think about chants of melee protection. Cant do squat about that as a fighter without my magic sword...

I think I've already poked a few people in the know about OSP's to try and recapture the heroic fantsay element of fighters, and get people out of the plum thump monkey tank setting. Maybe the rules can open some doors to make that fighter who is always able to mave a sword and have hits bring something new to the game.

What about monster hunter/slayer skills??? Take a pathway of OSP's that move you to affect creatures with your innate skill of blows...?

Or adrenalin type skills that extend their grace peroid, or in extreme circumstances allow them to carry on when they have locs on -1 and such like. Never say die etc....?

toughness skills that mean that you only take 1 hit to a crush to your body hits after armour is gone???

There's some things that can be done to make life characterful and not redundant.

Again, rules 3 playing to see what lifes actually like.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

It has to be said the recent (since sanctioned events perhaps?) rise of PvM has altered the nature of LT combat.

Njal wrote:
Think PVM - how many monsters may now be immune to normal can you not hurt as a fighter, unless you are fortunate to get a magic sword. Hey - if I'm an Incantor I can now get a weapon power up at level 2.

Hopefully almost no monster will have the justification for Immune To Normal, other tha yer Death K'nigits and those nasty few.

Njal wrote:
Its not just the mage bolts, blasts and halts. Think about chants of melee protection. Cant do squat about that as a fighter without my magic sword...

"Throw Rocks"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 pm 

Got me a fair few mages killed that way by thowing knives :D most amusing.... though it cost me my knives.... :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:18 pm 

I like the ones that step out of their lines to cast, thinking individuals in a shield wall won't move (which I admit, we probably shouldn't)

By my power OW

heh heh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am 

DM wrote:
Njal wrote:

"Throw Rocks"

Seconded :D Yes, chucking all those bricks around looks kinda amusing and pointless, and yes they don't have the range that arrows do. But they've got a longer reach than a polearm, they get someone's attention better than a spell vocal, they can be used in a wider range of circumstances than a bow can, they can be thrown into cross-winds to surprise people, and they do a point of damage every time they hit. Under the right circumstances I've seen throwing weapons used to punch massive holes in shieldwalls within seconds, or to be the only thing on the battlefield capable of taking down the Uber Gribbly Mage.

IMHO, the ability to throw stuff is the best single point you can spend on your character card, so long as you stick to rocks or bricks or something more substantial than throwing daggers (which just don't have enough weight behind them), and so long as you're prepared to carry a decent amount of them, or have friends who do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:31 pm 

"Throw rocks"

Yeah - actually an very interesting point - and often overlooked skill. It depends how much effort you want to make on it as I know some people are put off by loss of phys rep etc... BUT it is an option...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:36 pm 

Thrown is my most favouritest fighting skill, and i have used it several times to good effect, mage hate it, and sometimes it can swing the fight for one of your mates, oh and i saw Mr Medlock on Saturday, he's got some awesome throwing axes, which look like you could fight with them, but are completely corelss, at £25 a pop, they are a bargain, i will be aqquiring a few at the GEF, and possibly inscribing them with the runes

"MAGE BOLT THIS :twisted: "

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:30 pm 

Does money for income skills still have to be picked up from games control? my tickets etc came today and their was more money than i remember from previous years. Just wondering if they had sent my income as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

That would be an Occupational Skill as detailed in the OS Book.
Which isn't released yet.
It's probable.

You have income skills - were you bored and near G.C. one day ??? :P 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:08 pm 

Quote:
You have income skills - were you bored and near G.C. one day ???

Yes and no, i had lots of osps piled up so i thought id give it a try. Also the wording in the old osp book says if your have a profession which could possibly be used in other circumstances then its possible at ref disgression. I believe the example it gives is a carpenter fixing a faction gate faster.

I have a useful profession.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next